Born in Amadora, he studied at the António Arroio School in Lisbon where he got to know Fernando José Francisco, Mário Cesariny, António Pimentel
Domingues, Fernando Azevedo, Vespeira and Júlio Pomar. In 1948 he took part in the activity of the surrealists. In 1969 he won an F.C.G. scholarship.
He managed the galleries of São Mamede (1968-1974), Estoril Tourism Board (1967-1983) and Vilamoura (1985-1988). He staged scenes for the
National Ballet Company and for the Gulbenkian Ballet Company. He worked on the French surrealist magazine “Phases”, the Dutch magazine “Brumes
Blonds” and the Canadian magazine “La Tortue-Lièvre”.