Graduating in Architecture from the E.S.B.A.P, he later studied at the École des Beaux Arts in Paris in 1946 on a French government scholarship. In
1951 he worked with Le Corbusier and from 1952 to 1954 he worked with Óscar Niemeyer. He also oriented his activity towards aesthetic works and art
theory. Only in 1965 did he become solely dedicated to painting. Between 1968 and 1970 he had an F.C.G. scholarship in Paris. He is one of the first
Portuguese to practise geometric abstractionism, evolving towards a thoroughness and a perfectly defined sense of composition and harmony. In Paris
he was dedicated to research in the field of Kinetic art, developing “Espacillimité”.