Born in Moçâmedes, he graduated from the E.S.B.A.P. in 1929 where he lectured between 1949 and 1972. He discharged duties as a curator at national
Museums and Palaces. He is the author of numerous public monuments in Oporto, Lisbon, Cape Town, Rio de Janeiro and Brasília. Despite having many
pieces of an official nature, he created his own kind of figure wherein the “cover” assumes a heavy plastic expression and easier decorativism. His cover
th constitutes a mandatory reference for Portuguese art in the 20 century.